This recipe for raw key lime pie is originally from the Café Gratitude cookbook. All the recipes are totally raw, gluten-free, dairy-free, and refined-sugar free. This key lime pie is a favorite – you don’t have to tell anyone the secret ingredient is avocado! The original recipe calls for agave nectar to make it 100% vegan, but we think that our raw Lehua honey adds something extra-special to this unique dessert, and makes it even more nutritious!
For the crust
- 1 1/4 cups macadamia nuts
- 1 1/4 cups pecans
- 1/4 cup well-packed, finely chopped medjool dates
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp salt
For the filling
- 3/4 cup lime juice
- 7 1/2 oz ripe avocado flesh
- 2/3 cup plus 1 Tbsp Organic Lehua Honey
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp lecithin (available at most health food stores)
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp raw unscented coconut butter
To make the crust
- In the bowl of your food processor, process pecans, mac nuts, vanilla, and salt until crumbly. Continue running the food processor while gradually adding the dates until the mixture sticks together.
- Press the nut mixture into a greased (with coconut butter) 9-inch pie pan. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
To make the filling
- Blend all the ingredients (except lecithin and coconut butter) until smooth.
- Add lecithin and coconut butter, and blend until well mixed.
- Pour into the prepared crust and chill for at least an hour, until firm. Garnish with lemon or lime slices and coconut.