To celebrate National Honeybee Day on August 21, I am making this special cake to honor the occasion. To quote Julia Child," a party without cake is just a meeting." This Genoise cake is made using nuts as flour and only honey as a sweetener. It is kept delicate by the addition of whipped egg whites.
On August 21, I will tribute the honeybee with this cake that utilizes the many gifts from the marvelous Apis Mellifera. The honey, the nuts, the adornment of berries and flowers are all rewards of the beehive.
One-third of all the food grown in the world is dependent on honeybees for pollination! So the amazing honey bee and the keepers who tend to them are responsible for keeping us fed. Would you please read more about World Honey Bee Day and our special offer below?
Cocoa , Almond and Macadamia Genoise cake made with Honey
- 2/3 cup unsweetened Cocoa
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 8 oz of unsalted butter
- 8 oz of Organic Ohia Lehua blossom honey
- 6 eggs ( separated)
- 1 cup sliced almonds ( lightly toasted)
- 2/3 cup Macadamia nuts ( lightly toasted)
- 1/8th teaspoon salt
- 3/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Grind the almonds and the macadamia nuts until powdery, be careful not to turn into butter! The macadamias will be a little larger than the almonds.
- Dissolve the cocoa in the hot water. Stir in the vanilla. Cool in bowl.
- Beat in a large bowl, the butter, the Lehua honey, and the 6 egg yolks for a few minutes until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the cocoa mixture and the ground nuts.
- With a stand mixer, whisk the egg whites, salt and cream of tartar until they make stiff peaks. Stir 1/4 of the egg white mixture into the chocolate mixture. Fold in gently the remaining egg white mixture.
- Pour into a 9x3 inch springform pan ( line the bottom with parchment paper).
- Bake at 325F for 30 minutes. Open the door and cover the top loosely with foil. Lower the temperature to 300F and bake for another 35-40 minutes , check to see that the interior of cake is about 190F.
- Cool for another 40 minutes and carefully unmold.
- Serve with fresh berries and whipping cream.