Reserve Your Spot Today
During this open beehive demonstration, you will explore an actual hive and learn where the queen resides, how honey is made, and what makes bees so special and interesting, all from behind a safe, screened area. Tour duration is approximately 1 hour.
Adults $10 (with Hawai‘i ID $8) | Youth (9 to 18) $8 | Children under 9 are free
Space is limited. Advanced reservations strongly recommended.
- Mon-Fri: 10 am, 12 pm and 2 pm
- Saturday: 10 am and 12 pm
- Reserve our space for a private tour or event (Please contact us at 808-328-1315 or email@example.com for special arrangements)
- Adults 19 and over – $10 per person
- Kama’aina Adult – $8 per person (must present valid Hawaii State ID)
- Youth 9 to 18 – $8 per person
- Children under 9 – Free
Attention School Groups! We would love to offer you a complimentary tour. Please contact us at 808-328-1315 or firstname.lastname@example.org to book your tour.
Included in the Tour
- A tour and inspection of a live hive with our beekeeper, where from behind a screened area you can watch and learn how bees operate within the hive
- Free sampling of our all our different honey varietals
- A short video explaining the production of honey from flower to jar
- Once the tour is over, you are welcome to browse the museum's artifacts and historical items, and peruse the many unique, locally produced gift items
- Our tours are open to people of all ages
- Stroller and wheelchair accessible
- Both the indoor and outdoor portion of the tour is under cover
- Minimal walking is required
- No protective clothing is necessary; Shorts, sleeveless shirts and sandals are welcome
How to Get Here
Click here or scroll down for driving directions to our farm.
Meet Our Crew
What can you learn about bees in an hour? A lot! Especially when you explore them in their hive with our experienced beekeepers.
Jillian will be your host when you arrive. With a rich and varied background in farming, agricultural science (BS in Agricultural Science and Technology), and cooking, she is passionate about the entire food system, from seed to table.
Jessica’s first experience in beekeeping was in Brazil with Africanized honeybees. Since then, she has kept bees on the East coast and now in Hawaii. Her enthusiasm for beekeeping has turned a hobby into a lifestyle as she keeps learning more about these marvelous animals.
Our Assistant Bee Docent, Joe, has a BS in Zoology, and has extensive knowledge about entomology and arthropods of the Big Island.
Please Use These Directions or Google Maps - Do Not Use GPS
Take Napoopoo Road off Highway 11, immediately south of mile marker 111. Keep bearing right on Napoopoo Road, following signs to Kealakekua Bay. Turn right at Big Island Bees sign immediately past Hawaiian Host Macadamia Factory and Kealakekua Estates (Meli Road). Follow winding lane 2/10 mile and turn right at our gate, where you will find a parking lot in the front. 82-1140 Meli Rd , Captain Cook, HI 96704