The National Honey Board developed this creative and delicious surf and turf recipe combining an amazing assortment of flavors.
- 8 oz. guava concentrate, thawed
- 3-4 oz. Lehua honey
- 12 pieces apple smoked bacon, par cooked (baked halfway)
- 24 pieces, 20-30 count scallops
- 1 cup honey-guava teriyaki sauce (see recipe)
- chili powder, as needed for
- chive oil, as needed for
- chives, chopped for garnish
- Mix honey and guava concentrate in a small sauce pan, bring to a simmer for 6-8 minutes.
- Take off heat and let cool. Pour into squirt bottle. 3. Cut cooled, par-baked bacon in half. Wrap each scallop in 1⁄2 piece of bacon and skewer with a 5” bamboo skewer, putting two wrapped scal- lops on each skewer. Place skewers on a sheet pan, squirt half of the guava-honey glaze on the skewers and bake to medium-rare at 450°F.
- When out of the oven, place a small pool of teriyaki sauce in the center of 4 plates; make a squiggle design with the other half of the guava-honey sauce on top of the teriyaki; drizzle around that with chive oil, sprinkle with chili powder and build the skewers: 2 side by side, and the third sticking out of one of the horizontal skewers, standing up in the air. Sprinkle with chopped chives.