Starting up the oven for fall? Try these muffins with Organic Wilelaiki Blossom honey for a healthy start to those chilly days; they’re also a great nutritious and tasty snack for the whole family.
Makes 12 muffins
- 1/2 cup Organic Wilelaiki Blossom Honey
- 3 Tbsp unrefined sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (or canola oil)
- 2 Tbsp almond butter
- 1 cup lowfat milk or soymilk
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseeds
- 1 tsp alcohol-free vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour (or whole wheat pastry flour)
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds (plus a few Tbsp extra for garnish)
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit and grease or line a muffin tin.
2) Stir together ground flaxseed and milk, set aside for 3 minutes or so. Meanwhile, cream together honey, oil, sugar, almond butter and vanilla. Then add flaxseed mixture and stir to mix well.
3) In a separate bowl, stir together flour, almond meal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
4) Add the dry ingredients (the flour mixture) to the wet ingredients (the honey mixture), and stir until just combined (try not to overmix). Fold in sliced almonds.
5) Divide batter evenly between 12 muffin cups. Top each muffin with a sprinkling of sliced almonds.
6) Bake for 22-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool on a baking rack.
7) Enjoy warm! Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.