As the weather gets chillier, we are having fun coming up with more seasonal recipes using our honeys! Here is a Big Island Bees take on a bakery staple; morning glory muffins with a Hawaiian twist of raw Macadamia Nut Blossom honey and mac nut butter. These are also dairy- and egg- free, so they’re great for people with food allergies. Enjoy!
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp macadamia nut butter
- 1/2 cup Macadamia Nut Blossom Honey
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/3 cup ground flaxseeds
- 1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp soymilk, almond milk, or water
- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tart apple (such as honeycrisp) cored and grated
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- Preheat your oven to 350° F and line or grease a 12-cup muffin tin.
- In a small bowl, stir together flaxseeds and nondairy milk (or water), and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together coconut oil, macadamia nut butter, honey, sugar until well combined and creamy. Stir in flaxseed mixture and mix well.
- In a separate bowl stir together flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Add the flour mixture to the honey mixture and stir until just combined.
- Stir in apple, carrot, dried cherries and coconut.
- Divide evenly between the muffin cups and bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool on a wire rack.