Red Wine Honey Cake with Plums and Wilelaiki Honey
- 300 grams (2.5 cups) all purpose flour, plus more for the pan
- 10 grams (2 tsp) baking powder
- 3 grams (1/2 tsp) baking soda
- 3 grams (1/2 tsp) salt
- 2 grams (1 1/2 tsp) cinnamon
- 2 grams (1 tsp) cardamom
- 2 grams (1 tsp) ground ginger
- 3 large eggs
- 200 grams (1 cup) granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups olive oil
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp organic Wilelaiki Blossom honey
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 lbs ripe yellow-flesh plums
- 1 Tbsp chopped thyme leaves, plus branches for garnish
- Place the rack in the middle of the oven; heat to 350°F. Grease and flour a 10-inch bundt pan, including the center tube.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- In another large bowl, whisk eggs well. Stir in sugar, oil, 1 cup honey, the wine, and fresh ginger until well mixed. Vigorously whisk in dry ingredients until smooth.
- Pour batter into the pan and bake until springy to the touch (and the cake tester comes out clean) – about 45 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes, then remove the cake from the pan and let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, pit and slice plums. Toss plum slices with 2 Tbsp honey and the chopped thyme. Add more honey to taste, then let macerate for at least 30 minutes. Serve cake slices garnished with plums and thyme branches.