HONEY CUSTARD PIE
- 1 - 9" pie crust, refrigerated or homemade
- 2 c. (480 ml) whole milk
- 1 c. (240 ml) heavy cream
- 4 large egg yolks (room temperature)
- 3/4 c. Macadamia blossom honey
- 1/2 c. (72 g) unpacked light brown sugar
- 2 T. (15 g) cornstarch, sifted
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 T. Macadamia blossom honey for garnish
- Optional garnish - sea salt flakes garnish, whipped cream, edible flowers or berries
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Place the pie crust in a deep dish 8 inch pie pan, or a 9 inch pie pan, and set it in the fridge to chill.
- Add egg yolks to a large mixing bowl and whisk until light in color. Set aside.
- Prepare filling - Heat heavy cream, milk, brown sugar, cornstarch and salt in a medium saucepan until it reaches a rolling boil, stirring constantly. The mixture will begin to thicken.
- Once boiling, remove the mixture from heat.
- Temper the eggs by adding a little bit of the hot cream mixture to the eggs and whisking rapidly, then adding a little more. Add the remaining cream mixture and whisk until combined and smooth.
- Add the honey and vanilla extract to the custard and stir until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the chilled pie crust.
- Bake the pie for 40-45 minutes. It will bubble up and start to brown on top.
- Remove the pie from the oven. It will still jiggle a bit. Set it on the counter to cool until it comes to room temperature. It will firm up as it sits.
- Refrigerate the pie until it’s cold and fully firm.
- Garnish the pie with an extra drizzle of macadamia honey, sea salt flakes, and serve.