for the caramel:
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup organic Lehua & Cinnamon honey
- pinch of salt
for the cake:
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 325°F and prepare a baking sheet. Grease 6 ramekins with butter and set aside.
- Place chopped apple in a small bowl and toss with 1 Tbsp lemon juice. Set aside.
- Make the caramel: melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. When the butter is melted, stir in sugar, honey, and salt and mix well. Let the mixture cook, stirring occasionally, until it becomes a light caramel color, 3-5 minutes. Stir in 1 tsp lemon juice and remove from the heat.
- Quickly divide the caramel evenly between the 6 ramekins. Add an equal amount of chopped apple to each ramekin. Set aside.
- Make the cake: Put flour, baking powder, lemon zest, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk to combine evenly, then set aside. In a large bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Add sugar and vanilla, and beat until well incorporated. Beat in eggs one at a time. Finally, stir in the milk until well mixed. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir until well combined.
- Pour cake batter over caramel-apple mixture in each ramekin, evenly dividing the batter.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Run a knife around the edge of each ramekin to loosen the cake, then carefully invert each cake onto a plate (make sure to use a cloth or oven mitt to handle the hot ramekins) and remove the ramekin. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.