After all those holiday treats, here is a resolution-friendly recipe: spiced roasted sweet potatoes and quinoa with a zesty lemon-Wilelaiki honey dressing. This bright salad is packed with nutrition and healthy energy. And by the way, it makes an excellent packed lunch!
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves
- 2 small to medium sweet potatoes or yams
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Wilelaiki honey
- 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking tray with foil. Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into 1/2 inch pieces. Toss the sweet potato in a bowl with 2 tsp olive oil, coriander, cumin, chili and 1/2 tsp salt. Spread evenly across prepared baking pan and roast for about 40 minutes, or until tender. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- When the sweet potatoes are almost ready, steam the quinoa as you would normally. In a small bowl, stir together Lemon juice, honey, and remaining olive oil, plus a pinch of salt to taste. When the quinoa is ready leave the pot over low heat, add the spinach and toss with the cooked quinoa. Replace the lid and let sit until spinach is just wilted. Toss with the lemon dressing.
- Divide the quinoa mixture evenly between two bowls. Top with roasted sweet potatoes and pumpkin seeds and serve!