Now is the time to make some serious treats, before those new years resolutions kick in. These indulgent salty-sweet caramel pretzel shortbread bars, using rich macadamia blossom honey, are just the thing! This recipe makes a lot, so why not bring them along to a New Years Eve party?
(recipe adapted from Saveur Magazine)
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp macadamia blossom honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 1/4 cups caster sugar
- 1/2 cup macadamia blossom honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 cups pretzel twists, broken up
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a 9×13″ baking pan with parchment paper.
- Make the shortbread: in a small bowl, cream together butter, sugar, honey, and vanilla extract, until fluffy and well mixed. Stir in flour and salt, and mix by hand, or with an electric mixer on low, until crumbly. Press the dough evenly into the prepared pan, prick all over with a fork, and bake for 15-18 minutes, until golden around the edges. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Make the caramel: In a large saucepan over medium heat, add butter, coconut oil, honey, sugar, and salt. Cook, stirring often, until mixture has thickened and is slightly foamy. Add the cream and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until a candy thermometer reads 240°F. Quickly stir pretzels into the mixture and remove from heat.
- Pour the caramel mixture over the shortbread, spreading evenly. Let cool completely, then slice into bars and serve. Store in an airtight container for up to a week.