Wilelaiki honey, cinnamon, ginger, clove and a hint of orange is the perfect treat at the holidays, and all winter long. These cookies are quick and easy to make - and will disappear just as quickly! Try them with or without icing, and add sprinkles as you see fit.
- 12 Tbsp (½ cups) butter, softened
- ½ cup muscovado or light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp Wilelaiki honey
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ½ tsp ground clove
- 2 cups flour
- ⅓-½ cup finely chopped hazelnuts (or almonds)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp milk
- ½ tsp vanilla
- zest from one orange
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- With an electric mixer, beat together butter, sugar, honey, and spices until light and fluffy. Add in flour, hazelnuts and salt and mix until well combined.
- Gather the dough into a ball, then pat or roll out on a lightly floured surface - the dough should be about ¼" thick. Using a cookie cutter, cut cookies - re-roll dough as needed until you have used it all up. Place shapes on the baking sheet (they can be close together as the cookies won't spread out too much).
- Bake for about 10 minutes, or until golden on the bottom. Let cool on a wire rack.
- When cookies are completely cool, make the icing: Sift powdered sugar into a mixing bowl, then add orange zest and vanilla. Add milk 1 Tbsp at a time, just until you get the right consistency and all the powdered sugar is mixed in. Spread icing onto each cookie and let sit until the icing sets.