These spicy honey roasted nuts makes a wonderful gift as well as a great party treat. It's the perfect accompaniment to a sparkling glass of champagne before dinner or served as dessert along with fruit and cheese. I even chop them up and sprinkle them on my oatmeal in the morning. Roasted nuts are easy to make and you can play with the spices to create your own blend. They will keep for up to a week in an airtight jar. Makes 2 large jars or 4 medium size jars of nut for gifts.
- 2 pounds of mixed raw nuts (I used Walnuts, Hazelnuts, Almonds and Macadamia nuts)
- 5 teaspoons of Macadamia Blossom honey
- 2 teaspoons of spice mix*
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 4 tablespoons of butter or coconut oil. ( I used half and half)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Heat honey, butter and coconut oil in a saucepan over low heat until melted.
- Pour melted butter or oil over nuts in a bowl and mix well.
- Quickly add the spice mixture and mix so spices cover the nuts evenly. Divide and place the nuts onto two cookie sheets with sides or roasting pans.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes or until the nuts turn a golden brown.
- Shake the tray every 10 minutes. Be careful not to burn, the nuts will continue to roast once removed from the oven.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with salt. Leave to cool.
*Spice mix ideas:
Mix 1: Sweet spice - Blend ground cinnamon, vanilla bean, ginger and nutmeg
Mix 2: Spicy curry - Blend ground cumin, turmeric, chili and coriander
Mix 3: Simple single ingredient - Sweet smoked paprika powder