Avocados and limes are in season in June, which means it's the perfect time to make tacos! This is a super quick and easy recipe you can make in the pressure cooker 30 minutes before serving or in advance in the slow cooker.
Recipe adapted from NY Times Cooking
Sweet & Spicy Tacos
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 to 4 canned chipotles in adobo, finely chopped, plus 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 3 tablespoons organic Wilelaiki honey
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus additional as needed
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 lime, juiced
- Warmed tortillas, for serving
- Red onion
- Sliced avocado, for serving
- Queso Fresco, for serving
- White vinegar
- Combine the chicken, chipotles, adobo sauce, honey, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and cumin in a slow cooker. Stir well. Cover and leave on low for 3-5 hours.
- Remove the chicken to a bowl or cutting board using tongs. Shred the chicken with two forks. If you’d like to reduce the sauce, set to sauté and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the chicken back into the pot.
- Stir in the black beans and a squeeze of lime juice, set to sauté and let the beans warm through for 2 to 3 minutes. Taste and add more salt or lime juice if necessary.
- To make pickled onions, thinly slice red onion and put the slices in a lidded, heat-proof container. Bring 1-1/2 cups white vinegar to a boil. Add about 3 heaping spoonfuls of sugar and a big pinch of salt and whisk to dissolve. Pour the hot vinegar over the onions and let them cool.
- Serve in warmed tortillas. Top with avocado, queso fresco and pickled onions.
Pressure Cooker Variation:
- Combine the chicken, chipotles, adobo sauce, honey, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and cumin in an electric pressure cooker. Stir well. Cover and set steam valve to sealed position. Cook on high pressure for 13 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes; then release the remaining pressure manually. Open the lid.
- Refer to steps 2 through 5 in directions above.