A little while ago we posted a recipe for spiced honey-roasted nuts to use on salads and for snacking. We recently found this recipe in the New York Times for a spiced up version of cocktail nuts, and thought that our Organic Wilelaiki Honey would be perfect (we used a bit less sugar and a bit more honey than the original recipe called for). The recipe is reproduced below – happy snacking!
Tamarind Spiced Cocktail Nuts with Organic Wilelaiki Honey and Mint
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup organic Wilelaiki honey
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tsp tamarind paste
- 1 pound roasted unsalted cashews
- 1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- large pinch of cayenne
- 1 tbsp ground garam masala
- 2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- chopped fresh mint (for serving)
- Heat the oven to 300°F and line a baking tray with foil or parchment.
- In a medium pot, melt butter, honey, sugar, tomato paste, and tamarind until well mixed. Add cashews, coconut, garam masala, cayenne, and salt. Toss until well coated. Spread on a baking sheet
- Bake for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is toasted and beginning to caramelize. Sprinkle the nuts lightly with salt and let cool completely.
- When completely cool, break nuts apart and sprinkle with mint, then serve (only sprinkle mint on as much as you will serve immediately – without the mint these will keep in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks).