The original recipe for this dark, dense rye bread comes from an traditional Icelandic recipe. The typical rúgbrauð in Iceland is sweetened with golden syrup or molasses, but we’ve brought together the flavors of two volcanic islands by sweetening it with our Macadamia Blossom Honey; the mild floral flavor of Macadamia Blossom honey complements the strong distinct flavor of dark rye flour wonderfully! The recipe below makes two loaves, but it freezes well so you can freeze one loaf for later.
Dark Rye with Macadamia Nut Blossom HoneyIngredients:
- 4 cups dark rye flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp baking soda
- 1 large container (about 4 cups) plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups macadamia blossom honey
- Preheat the oven to 275°F and lightly grease two bread pans.
- In a large bowl, stir together rye flour, whole wheat flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Stir in yogurt and honey until well combined.
- Divide dough evenly between the bread pans, and cover with tinfoil.
- Bake for 4 to 5 hours (check after 4 hours by inserting a small knife into the bread). Let cool before serving and/or freezing.