It’s hard to think of a better combination that banana, dark chocolate, and Organic Lehua honey. Luckily this recipe for decadent banana bread swirled with chocolate combines all of those things, and makes a beautiful brunch addition or an indulgent treat to go with an afternoon coffee.
(This recipe makes two loaves – banana bread is one of those things that freezes perfectly, so if you want to save a loaf for later, simply wrap one (after it is completely cool) up in plastic wrap and set it in the freezer. When you want to use it let it defrost for a couple hours and it will be good to go!)
Makes 2 loaves
- 1 cup + 3 Tbsp butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup organic lehua honey
- 1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 100g good quality extra-dark chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
- Preheat the oven to 340°F. Grease two loaf pans and set aside.
- In a large bowl cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in the honey and finally the mashed bananas, and stir until well mixed.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined (be sure not to overmix).
- Divide the dough into two equal parts. Add the melted chocolate to one half of the dough and stir until combined.
- Layer the plain dough and the chocolate dough alternately in the two loaf pans, until all the dough has been used up. Use a knife the gently swirl the dough, drawing the knife up from the bottom to the top along the length of the loaf pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or up to an hour, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.