- 4.4 ounces of quality dark chocolate chopped
- 1/2 cup butter plus 1 tablespoon
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup Macadamia blossom honey
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour (190g)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
For the Ganache
- 10.5 ounces quality dark semi sweet chocolate (300g)
- 1 cup cream 250ml
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 9 inch springform pan and line the bottom.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate and butter and microwave in 30 second bursts (stirring every time in between) until melted. This should take about 90 - 120 seconds.
- Whisk in the eggs, one at a time, until fully combined. Add the honey, milk and sugar and whisk well. Sift in the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and baking soda and stir until just combined.
- Pour into the prepared baking pan and bake for 45-50 minutes. Check to see if it is ready by sticking a toothpick in to the cake and if it comes out clean, the cake is ready. The cake will rise quite a bit but it shouldn’t overflow. Once the baking time is up it will still feel very soft and it will also lose some height, especially in the center. But don't worry - it will be completely fine. Let it cool in the pan for 15 minutes before removing the sides and allowing the cake to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Once the cake has cooled, You may level the cake with a serrated knife if you choose but I simply cover the cake with plenty of ganache to cover any imperfections.
- Make the ganache by combining the chocolate and cream in a small saucepan. Gently heat over medium-low heat while stirring with a spatula or wooden spoon. Once the chocolate has completely melted and the ganache is smooth, cool to room temperature before icing the cake. Allow the ganache to settle before slicing.
(from Nora of Savory Nothings)
Learn more about baking with honey and how to convert refined sugar to honey in any recipe with our infographic and honey conversion chart.