Dessert will always be dessert, but it can be nice to make it nutritious at the same time! Baking with unrefined or nutrient rich ingredients is a great way to do that, and raw honey is a perfect addition to the mix. Here is a great recipe for coconut almond cake that uses unrefined ingredients (and is gluten free!), that we adapted from a recipe from then “The Unrefined Kitchen” blog. Try it out – it makes a great birthday cake, Easter dessert, or just because.
Gluten Free Coconut Almond Cake with Organic Wilelaiki Honey
For the Cake – makes 2 8-inch cake rounds
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot powder
- 1/2 cup almond flour (fine almond meal)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup Organic Wilelaiki Honey
- 6 eggs
- 2/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 1/3 cup almond milk
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp vanilla
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease or line (with parchment) two 8-inch cake pans
- 2. In a large mixing bowl, combine coconut flour, arrowroot, almond flour, baking powder and salt, and whisk to mix well.
- 3. Add honey, eggs, coconut oil, almond milk, lemon juice, and vanilla and beat until well combined (an electric mixer makes it easier).
- 4. Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake pans. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, but be careful not to over-bake! Cool completely before frosting.
For the Frosting
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp arrowroot
- 5 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 6 Tbsp Organic Wilelaiki honey
- pinch of salt
- Use an electric mixer to blend all ingredients together until well mixed and smooth.
- Assemble cake – spread frosting on top of one of the cake rounds, then place the 2nd cake round on top. Cover the top and edges of the cake with remaining frosting.