Treacle Tart is a classic English recipe that goes perfectly with afternoon tea or coffee, or as dessert. Treacle usually refers to molasses or golden syrup, but our recipe calls for Organic Wilelaiki Blossom honey, which gives the tart a more nuanced and delicate flavor. The tart really takes on the flavor of the honey, so if you want to experiment with Lehua or Macadamia Nut blossom, you can make it to suit your favorite varietal!
- 1 batch of your favorite pastry crust recipe, mixed, chilled, and rolled out (or a pre=prepared pie crust)
- 1 cup Organic Wilelaiki Blossom Honey
- 7 Tbsp bread crumbs
- 3 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 egg, beaten
- whipped cream or ice cream, for serving
- Place the prepared pie crust in a greased pie- or tart-pan and trim edges. Chill for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Prick the bottom of the crust all over with a fork, place tinfoil or parchment paper to cover the dough, and fill with dried beans to hold the crust in place. Bake for about 20 minutes, then remove beans and parchment and bake for another 5-10 minutes, until light golden.
- In a medium bowl, stir together honey, bread crumbs, cream, and the egg, until well mixed. Pour the honey mixture into the prepared crust. Bake for about 30 minutes, until the filling is set. Let cool slightly before serving.